Tuesday, March 29, 2011

[ ] i went to NCAA games last week

So, Mrs Murphy got me pretty good last week. I was under the impression that we were going to Chicago last Thursday-Monday for my "surprise" b-day weekend. Well, we got in the car Thursday to drive to Chicago, but about 30 minutes into the trip, she broke the news to me that we were going to the airport and flying to Lakeland Florida to go to Detroit Tigers spring training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Winning!! It was pretty awesome! Literally everyone i knew had known about this for months and nobody ruined the surprise. 3 of my friends were in on it to, and they met us down there. We are all pretty die hard baseball fans, but none of us had ever been to spring training. It was pretty sweet. We are already talking about planning to go again next year. I ended up catching 3 home runs during batting practice the first game which were my first 3 balls ever at a game. I ended up catching the one barehanded which at the time was pretty sweet. Fast forward to the game. We are sitting in the 2nd row down the 3rd baseline and a scrub for the Braves lines one foul. The ball is hooking and i realize it's coming right for us. I lean forward, beer in my right hand, reach out my left hand, and snag the line drive!!!!!!! Aside from the tigers winning the game in the bottom of the 9th, it probably got the biggest ovation from the crowd. I think the best part was that i didn't spill a drop of my beer AND didn't drop the ball either. I couldn't get my ring off my hand for the next day since a few of my fingers were swollen, but it was well worth the pain. It's funny how many people during the rest of the game came up to me to tell me what a great catch i made lol. I was standing in line to re-fuel and i even had a few people congratulate me there and we weren't even in my section anymore. All in all it was a great trip. I ended up getting a pretty bad sunburn on my face and scalp, but it's pretty much gone now and i have a nice tan at this point. It sucked having to come back here to 40 degree weather, but whatever...spring is a coming! I got asked by a member who i played with once at the end of last season to be his partner for the mens league over at the country club, so i'm pretty excited about that. I would probably rather partner up with a friend, or someone more my age, but this guy is a department head over at the University, and kind of a big shot, so he's def a good guy to get to know. Season starts April 20th and runs through Sept so it should be a really good time. There is actually decent money to be won but i just like the competitiveness of it. Hitting shots when they matter is a whole lot different then messing around with friends on a Saturday afternoon. Plus it should help my tournament game playing in a competitive round every week. Ok, Tigers/Yankees game just started, so going to make some coffee and watch the game. Sorry for the 2 week gap in posts...it's been a busy 2 weeks! Murph

No comments: